State of the BigWorld engine

A place to talk about the MMORPG Visions.
Karan

State of the BigWorld engine

Postby Karan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:09 am

I stumbled on this blog post on rollenspieler.ch (translated from German):
To BigWorld or not to BigWorld ...
Published on Tuesday, 01 October 2013 22:55

Anyone who knows a little bit about the MMO indie scene knows that BigWorld is a fantastic engine. "World of Tanks" didn't grab it without reason. But since that time the indie-support (or the support in general) for BigWorld is practically dead. The engine is no longer being developed or supported in any way for the free market. So the engine ages slowy, which can be seen in several places. For example, you absolutely need an outdated CentOS release on the server side. It is hard to find a commercial provider that still supports that release. Hetzner does, but even there you can have the it only via a detour.

All this is isn't a problem in itself. But Versalis is based on BigWorld. An so it becomes a problem (-;

So all in all not a good sign for a still young indie project like Versalis. Although BigWorld is a really good engine (or rather "was"). But how long will it still exist? And for how long is it reasonable to have this outdated CentOS release? Lots of pros and cons. Therefore, the decision was not easy, whether BigWorld is to remain the engine of choice, or whether it's better to make a painful break than draw out the agony.

After some haggling and even more trying things out, with a heavy heart the decision was made to do leave BigWorld and try something new.
The "new" thing should be a future-proof, proven technology with many completed projects and a broad and active community.
At the end, after much research and many "trial versions" two pairs remained: Unity/Photon and Unity/Smartfox. Since Photon is only available on Windows-Servers (leading to slight panic attacks on my side), the final choice was easy: Versalis will be developed with Unity/Smartfox.

Recently the client and server side setup of the new platform was in the foreground, as well as also the first (stumbling) steps. As usual, the new setup has its downsides (C/S integration is not nearly as comfortable as in BigWorld) but also many bright spots (wonderfully clean and transparent engines; endless scripting possibilities, C# and Java instead of Python).

The decision therefore has fallen, and the new infrastructure works; client and server can already talk to each other. So the project can continue on a new platform.

I do hope the situation is not as bad as it sounds - I know the history of Vision's engine changes/updates...

Sparkling
Site Admin

Re: State of the BigWorld engine

Postby Sparkling » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:45 pm

We are actually having really good success with Bigworld. We are running our own servers, so CentOS5 is not a problem for us. And Bigworld supports the seamless world that we need for our geographically relevant terrain that we need for the Visions world design, which we have also successfully gotten working. Bigworld supports server clusters, which we will be able to set up as soon as we get more funding coming in. We are actually doing really well with Bigworld, it is doing everything we need it to do. The only problem area we have is getting developers who actually have enough time to write code on a daily basis.

Thank you for your prayers and support.

God bless you,
-Sparkling

Negaia

Postby Negaia » Sun May 04, 2014 11:19 am

Hello guys,

my team and I developed now for 3,5 years with BigWorld our MMORPG-project Negaia (www.negaia.com / www.facebook.com/negaia), but run in some crashes of the client... and after a lot of emails to BigWorld without any answer we decided to change the engine to Unity3D.

I hope you can finish your project with BigWorld.

Regards
Peter@Negaia

Sparkling
Site Admin

Postby Sparkling » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:19 am

Yes, Bigworld is still working very well for us. I also am working with another team making an MMO using Unity, and I am now more convinced than ever that Bigworld is the best choice for Visions. Thank you for your concern. Locking this thread now. I think the question has been answered sufficiently.

Return to “Visions Game Discussion”